BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN OPTICS AND OPTOMETRY
DGES registration number: R/A-Cr 128/2013
Approved by Order No. 6528/2020, of June 22, 2020. Accredited by the Higher Education Assessment and Accreditation Agency | Process PERA/1819/1201431 approved by the Board of Directors of A3ES on 04/29/2020. Maximum accreditation of two years.
Doutora Clara Pérez
Doutor Henrique Nascimento
The main objective of the Bachelor’s degree in Optics and Optometry is to train Optometrists qualified to work independently or in multidisciplinary teams, providing extensive care in eye health.
Optometrist functions include detecting, analyzing, evaluating and compensating for refractive, functional and binocular vision problems as well as prescribing compensating lenses, visual aids, rehabilitation of vision system changes and referral to other healthcare professionals.
At ISEC Lisboa, we aim to train competitive and specialized professionals in Optics and Optometry. For this, we invest in a very practical component that is supported by all technical infrastructures with adequate and updated equipment as well as the University Clinic that is open to the community and where students have contact with real patients.
- Optometry practice, whether professionally autonomous or in multidisciplinary teams in the field of eye care and related areas
- Manufacturing and marketing companies of optical and optometric materials, components and equipment
- Research in Optics and Optometry
SKILLS TO BE DEVELOPED
Measure and analyze the vision function; prescribe optical means and visual exercises for correction/compensation of visual conditions; perform optometric analysis; prescribe suitable optical means; refer patients with suspected injuries and pathological cases to adequate health professionals; apply techniques for correction and recovery of eyeball motor imbalances, binocular vision, strabismus and oculomotor palsy; prescribe and teach patients to coordinate and converge the visual axes of the two eyes; perform perimetry, tonometry, tomography, adaptometry, color vision, and electrooculography exams, etc.; adapt contact lenses to compensate for conventional ametropia, corneal ectasia or iatrogenic conditions; assess individuals or special visual conditions, such as people with intellectual disabilities or low vision.
To train professionals in the field of Optics and Optometry with the ability to develop clinical work in the area of vision health primary care. To train professionals with great knowledge in ocular and ophthalmic optics who can assist vision health professionals with a lack of training in the field of optics.
This degree is aimed at society in general, namely: students who have completed secondary school; graduates of other degrees whose professional situation would benefit from in-depth knowledge in the field of optics and optometry.
MAIN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
+ Optometry practice under professional autonomy or in multidisciplinary teams in the field of vision care and related areas
+ Manufacturing and marketing of optical and optometric materials, components and equipment under a company
+ Research in Optics and Optometry
+ Teaching activities in teaching establishments (example: higher education institutions)
Bachelor's Degree in Optics and Optometry
COURSE'S TOTAL DURATION
6 semesters (3 years).
The Access Regime for International Students is aimed at all applicants who do not have Portuguese nationality. This regime does not apply to the students who: are a European Union Member state national or, despite not being a Member state national, have continuously been living in Portugal for more than two years.
Admission through this regime is subject to:
- Verification of academic qualifications through: Document proof and a written exam on the subjects of the access exams required for the study cycle – in accordance with the application guide of the general regime.
- Verification of language knowledge through document proof.
- The written exam consists of a written test of knowledge on the language in which the study cycle is taught. For both types of verification, an interview will always be conducted.
Application - Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Transcript of Records from the country of origin or a diploma that attests the successful completion of an educational program and entitles the the student to apply for higher education in the country where those certificates were issued;
- Portuguese secondary education diploma or legally equivalent qualification;
- Documentary proof for the verification of the academic qualifications (when applicable)
- Documentary proof for the verification of language knowledge (when applicable)
EQUIPMENT AND TEACHING MATERIAL
Laboratories with the necessary material and equipment for practical lessons: optometry and contact lenses laboratories, University Clinic of Optometry, geometric optics and physical optics laboratories, chemistry and physics laboratories, ophthalmic optics laboratory, sports vision research laboratory, library with material on different areas of knowledge.